Friday 5 March 2010

South Cumbria Chief Inspector named one of county's 'inspirational women'

A Chief Inspector from South Cumbria has been named one of the county’s ‘inspirational women’ in a booklet that has been produced to motivate schoolgirls in Cumbria.

During the official launch event held in Rheged on Wednesday 3 March 2010, 18 of the 26 Cumbrian contributors and other guests gathered to hear motivational talks and enjoy entertainment from dance groups and singers from around the county.

Cheif Inspector Ali Dufty was asked to participate in the initiative led by Cumbria Business Education Consortium (CBEC) that hopes to inspire local young women into thinking about their future and what they can achieve. The booklet tells 26 stories of a significant challenge or issue that a Cumbrian woman has had to overcome in order to fulfil their potential. A copy will be given to every 15 year old schoolgirl in the county to help broaden their minds, raise aspirations and increase motivation.

CI Ali Dufty said: “I was touched to be asked to contribute to this project which is a great way of showing young women what they can achieve if they have the determination.

“From the age of 16 when I left school, I knew I wanted to be a police officer and have remained focused on achieving my goals and progressing through the ranks. I’ve come up against some hurdles during my career, having battled with ill health after doctors discovered a bone tumour on my spine. The operations resulted in nearly two years off work, and subsequent pain ever since. I’ve also frequently been the only woman in many of the teams and ranks I’ve worked in across the Constabulary, which could be isolating.

“I’m proud of what I have achieved. Even though I left school at 16 and have a busy career, I managed to achieve a Masters degree in Education with Distinction, and continue to enjoy an active lifestyle, despite the problems with my back.

Many people still think that police forces are dominated by men but Cumbria Constabulary now has the highest ratio of female officers in the country.

“I would definitely encourage young people, male or female, to consider a career with Cumbria Constabulary in the future – there are a variety of interesting and exciting roles for officers as well as staff, and opportunities for career progression regardless of gender.

“I hope that young women get something out of reading our stories whether it be motivation to go after their dream careers or inspiration to take up a new hobby or lifestyle. All 26 women who have chosen to contribute to the booklet have a different story to tell but each of them has a strong underlying message – you are in charge of your future. Go after your dreams.”

Fay Davies, Chief Executive of CBEC said: “The idea behind this project was to offer inspiration to others and I wanted ‘ordinary‘ women to share a story or an aspect of their life to inspire or demonstrate that any one of us can achieve a dream, a goal or what we really want to do in life regardless of age, illness, financial constraint, disability, colour, culture or sex. These are all barriers that can be overcome.
 
“There is always at least one aspect in everybody’s life that will touch someone else – something we can relate to or something that inspires us. By inviting women in Cumbria to take part in this project, I hope that our county’s younger generation of women will take a moment to think about themselves, their aims, goals or lifestyles, and feel empowered to overcome any issues they face and make their own choices.”

2 comments:

  1. Well done Chief Inspector Dufty. A well deserved recognition.

    ReplyDelete